Tous les articles
|L'arraisonnement de la flottille pour Gaza donne lieu à un flot de caricatures antisémites|
Instructif mais désolant Les caricatures anti israéliennes et anti juives sur l'affaire de la flottille
Beating up on Israel from East and West: anti-Semitism at sea June 14, 2010
* Below: a selection of cartoons on the flotilla incident.
* When will politicians realize that anti- Semitism, both Arab and Western, including that in the media, is a severe impediment to solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
1. Anti-Semitic cartoons in an illiterate region
2. Saudi Arabia: Swastika on an Israeli flag
3. Kuwait: Defacing the Star of David
4. Lebanon: Blood and Fangs
5. Oman: Hasidic Jews and Menorahs
6. Egypt: The country whose blockade on Gaza is more severe than Israel's
7. Qatar: Home of al-Jazeera
8. Anti-Semitism in print too
9. Not an isolated occurrence
10. The Guardian
ANTI-SEMITIC CARTOONS IN AN ILLITERATE REGION [All notes below by Tom Gross]
The media in countries like Britain, France, Sweden and Greece are not alone in voicing vile reactions – often replete with lies, and sometimes spilling over into blatant anti-Semitism – to the recent Israeli operation to thwart hundreds of armed Turkish Islamists heading to join Hamas in Gaza.
The Arab world too including supposedly moderate countries at peace with Israel has produced a number of repulsive cartoons about Israel and Jews. Several, which appeared in mainstream Arab newspapers, compared Israelis to Nazis. A large number of people remain illiterate in Arab countries (most governments there have made little use of their vast oil wealth to educate their citizens, and especially women) so cartoons are particularly influential in Arab countries.
I attach a selection of cartoons below. (Research courtesy of the Anti-Defamation League, the senior staff of which subscribe to this email list. The commentaries and headings below are mine.)
Most print media in the Arab world are under the full or partial control of the ruling regimes.
SAUDI ARABIA: SWASTIKA ON AN ISRAELI FLAG
Al-Iqtisadiyya, June 2, 2010
(Reminder: Saudi Arabia, which is one of the world's most oppressive states, is often referred to as moderate by the very same New York Times editorial board that berates Israel on an almost daily basis.)
KUWAIT: DEFACING THE STAR OF DAVID